If you are supporting custom software or older line of business software that your organization needs to operate you might come across an issue with Ghostscript and windows 8 64 bit.
The issue is simply when you try to add the Ghostscript printer windows 8 will look like it is stuck in a loop, if you check the error logs you will find an error that look like this.
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Event ID: 1001
Fault bucket -1485095716, type 5
Event Name: PnPDriverImportError
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
To install the Ghostscript printer follow these steps:
- Open your charms (the right side popup menu) and select “Settings” and Click on the last option on the list called “Change PC Settings”
- In the “General” category click the “Restart now” button under “Advanced startup”
- Then the system restarts it will show you several options, you want to select “Troubleshoot” then “Advanced options” and finally “Startup Settings”
- The system will reboot one more time and you will have a new listing of options, you will want to select option #7 “Disable Driver Signature Enforcement”
- After the system has finished restarting for the final time you will be able to add the Ghostscript printer to windows 8 64 bit.
The final item of note is that you must select “File: (print to file)” as the port for the printer as “LPT1” will not work.
You can download the latest version of Ghost script from this website http://www.ghostscript.com/.